1994-03-30 - Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Message Hash: 15a6b1252c061b29081c4eb91aa60adac199adc089fd09694a838f9a45a95fb9
Message ID: <199403301746.AA00769@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.05.9403301026.A6652-9100000@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-30 19:38:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 11:38:31 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 11:38:31 PST
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Subject: Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

> On Wed, 30 Mar 1994, Jim choate wrote:
>
> > it. First, historicaly (and emotionaly on my part) I have a hard time taking the
> > premise that the status quo will stay the status quo. I have this belief that
> > some bright person is going to come along and blow all our pipe dreams away.
>
> However faster cracking means faster encrypting (using larger keys) as
> well.  I don't think the US government can maintain a tech edge over the
> market for long in any case.  The Soviet government couldn't.
>
> DCF

The point that is being missed is that if a method arrises to crack a n-bit
key there is sufficient reason to believe that it can be used to crack a m-bit
key, where m>n. I suspect that when the algorithm is worked out that it will
NOT be bit length dependant. Also remember where most crypto folks get their
funding from...Uncle Sam or his kin.

Thread