1994-03-29 - Re: cfp ‘94 transcript

Header Data

From: ag588@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John C. Brice)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2c1e518b82f3134608eb41de38e206de462577511e743ce10a760ea057dfeeec
Message ID: <199403291853.NAA08399@eeyore.INS.CWRU.Edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Mar 94 10:54:14 PST

Raw message

From: ag588@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John C. Brice)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 94 10:54:14 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: cfp '94 transcript

>On Tue, 29 Mar 1994, Jack King wrote:
>
>> Mike Godwin stated that the FBI agent said something like "
>> "we can lie to you, but you can't lie to us."  That has always been true
>> under 18 U.S.C. 1001.  But now you can't even answer one of their questions
>> with a "no" if the truthful answer would be "yes."  You should read up on
>> this, it's scarier than Clipper and the digital telephony proposal combined.
>
>Of course you can still refuse to say anything which is what you should
>have always done in any case.
>
>I wonder that if you tell the agents that you reserve the right to lie --
>in other words disclaim an oath.  Swear to lie.  If you can beat such a rap.
>
>DCF

Don't try to be clever when you're talking with the Feds.  Your best bet is
simply to demand a lawyer and then shut up.

I am an attorney, seeking a position in the area of Computer Law.  If you
know of such a position available, or of someone who may know of such a
position, please send e-mail!  Thanks.

Thread