1994-03-11 - Re: Surveillance cameras

Header Data

From: Ian Turton <ian@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 3ac5c70b3a3360c4f5a01653158eec75da83861a64d4f5618344de2bab3ce30b
Message ID: <9574.9403110955@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Mar 94 01:55:52 PST

Raw message

From: Ian Turton <ian@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 94 01:55:52 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Surveillance cameras

Tim writes:

> Most American airports, especially those with international
> connections, routinely videotape all passengers. I can't cite a source
> for this, but I think it's common knowledge (not that this means its
> true).

There was an article in a recent New Scientist (maybe last week) that
mentioned the use of infrared scans of faces to identify people since its
very hard to change the thermal image of your face by surgery. The plan is
to scan every one passing through the airport and forward the image to the
FBI (or whoever the local cops are I guess, but it said FBI) and they check
out thier database of know terorists (and cypherpunks) and it rings the
local gaurds if they get a match.

I can try to find the whole article if anyones interested.

> --Tim May

Ian Turton - School of Geography, Leeds University
	     0532 -333309

Thread