1994-03-18 - Re: Locating Color Copiers

Header Data

From: stevenJ <aragorn@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Message Hash: 3eb24d28c7818e28c6f4def1d89231d2472336cfd99a69a2a21f9dd85dd1c4f1
Message ID: <199403181329.HAA15923@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 05:29:39 PST

Raw message

From: stevenJ <aragorn@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 05:29:39 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Subject: Re: Locating Color Copiers

John C. Brice muttered something about...
::
::The Secret Service is a division of the Treasury Department.  One of their
::main duties is tracking down counterfeiters.  If someone has stolen a color
::copy machine, there's a very good chance that it was stolen for the end
::purpose of counterfeiting.  So I would imagine that that would be why the
::SS would be looking for this particular stolen property.  Make sense?

That's ridiculous.  I hate to start a flame-war, but if I decided that I
desperately needed a color copier but didn't want to spend that money and
figured I'd just steal one, why would there be a good chance that I'd be
doing this to start a counterfeiting process?  Maybe I just want to make
color copies.  If you truly believe that this would be the main impetus for
anyone stealing on of these devices you're thinking in the same ballpark as
those who we fight against with cryptography.

Additionally, it's only possible to photocopy $1, $5 and $10 because anything
larger than that has that funny little strip of plastic in the bill.

e x  t  r   a   p   o  l  a  t e			       steve j. white

Gort, klatu barada nicto.			   aragorn@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu

Thread