1994-03-30 - Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org (Curtis D. Frye)
Message Hash: 4c9051be8c12e1a3918191eb356cca35274ef04e87e4458e911e2157f1bc6543
Message ID: <199403302031.AA07448@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <9403301941.AA12612@ciis.mitre.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-30 20:32:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 12:32:08 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 12:32:08 PST
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org (Curtis D. Frye)
Subject: Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

> Jim Choate wroate:
> >The problem w/ the whole N - NP approach is that is assumes that the QM
> >model behaves as we would expect it to, it doesn't. I think this is one of
> >those assumptions that are better left un-made. I have worked w/ enough QM
> >projects throug UT and Discovery Hall (Dr. Turner and Dr. Prigogine) that
> >I am not comfortable assuming the QM world even cares about the N or NP
> >issues we are debating.
>
> What effects at the quantum level lead you to this conclusion?  Have you
> noticed non-linear increases in computational power or other similar
> occurrences?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Curtis D. Frye - Job Search Underway!!!
> cfrye@ciis.mitre.org or cfrye@mason1.gmu.edu
> "Here today, gone ?????"

The whole problem w/ QM is that it is not, by its very nature, linear. Every
logical thought pattern you have needs to basicly be thrown away when you deal
with this real of physics. Consider an electron emitter that throws them out
180 degrees out. Because of the conservation of spin rules the electrons must
have opposite spins. However, when they are emitted you can't tell what their
individual spins are. However, when you measure one the other INSTANTLY orients
to the other value (ie +/- 1). This change happens faster than light (there
is no way a electron can emit a photon before you measure it unless it can
somehow jump into the future and know a priori when you measure it. Very nasty
problem w/ no explanation at this point. You can propose Tachyons and other
exotic particles but detecting them because of their lower limit velocity (ie
they must always travel faster than light) keeps us from measuring them.

The point I am making is that the logical rules you use don't apply down here.

Thread