1994-03-15 - Loompanics: SECRETS OF A SUPER HACKER

Header Data

From: walter kehowski <wak@next11.math.pitt.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4d2f899b7b19dcd2adc280a54c46f980d63c3c6d70a9a67239f87b565e923f16
Message ID: <9403152231.AA06297@next11.math.pitt.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 14:31:37 PST

Raw message

From: walter kehowski <wak@next11.math.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 14:31:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Loompanics: SECRETS OF A SUPER HACKER

Cypherpunks:

I recently received the recent Loompanics catalog and read the review
of SECRETS OF A SUPER HACKER in it. I wondered if the book was just
hype ("Approaching Zero" comes to mind) so I'm glad to read in
Timothy May's "Books, Loompanics, and other weird stuff" that the
book might actually be worth reading. I've appended the review.
Thanks, tcmay!

Walter A. Kehowski

<wak@next0.math.pitt.edu>

######################################

SECRETS OF A SUPER HACKER by The Knightmare, introduction by Gareth
Branwyn,
205 pp., 8 1/2" x 11", ISBN 1-55950-106-5, March, 1994, Loompanics
Unlimited,
Box 1197, Port Townsend WA, 98368.  Price: $19.95 plus $4.00 for
shipping
(includes a copy of their must-have 280 page catalog of unusual
books).
Credit card orders to 206-385-2230 (phone) or 206-385-7785 (fax).

   This is a very good practical book on breaking into computer
systems.
It's readable, interesting, informative, balanced, and accurate, with
nice spirit of fun and swashbuckling!

   Here's the contents:

Introduction: Hackers: Heroes or Villains?
I: The Basics
II: The History of Hacking
III: Researching the Hack
IV: Passwords and Access Control
V: Social Engineering
VI: Reverse Social Engineering
VII: Public Access Computers and Terminals
VIII: On-Site Hacking: The Tresspasser-Hacker
IX: Hacking at Hope: Dialing Up Computers With Your Modem
X: Electronic Bulletin Board Systems
XI: Borderline Hacking
XII: What To Do When Inside
XIII: This Lawful Land
XIV: Hacker Security: How To Keep From Getting Caught
XV: Conclusion
Further Reading
Glossary
8 Appendices

   The Knightmare covers lots of clever technical tricks for gaining
access, but he shows most glee with scores of hilarious "Social
Engineering" scams for seducing legitimate users into revealing their
passwords.  The striking thing about these spoofs is, just reading
them,
you realize through the laughter how often these simple Social
Engineering
techniques will produce results and how the credulity of
non-security-
minded naive users is the weak point of any security system.

   Sometimes while reading, I wished the book provided more specific
info
about phone numbers, brand names, specific techniques that work on
specific bulletin board systems, etc.  But I recognize that such
information would go quickly out-of-date, or would be fixed in
response to
the book's publication, or could implicate the author.

   The Knightmare is presenting concepts that won't go out-of-date
soon,
giving the interested non-hacker a comprehensive and comprehensible
survey
of the field, and tipping off the potential hacker with just enough
details to get him/her started and steered in the right direction and
minimize the chance of getting caught.

   On this final point... a few times during the early chapters I
thought
The Knightmare was being cavalier about personal safety, favorably
reporting (for example) Social Engineering advertizing scams that
would
likely bring the cops to one's doorstep.

   But The Knightmare was saving his warnings for 2 chapters towards
the
end, 22 sobering pages that make very clear the risks involved and
what
definitely NOT to do.  A very balanced presentation.

   As usual with Loompanics books, this one can be read backwards,
and
pages 167-168 are directed specifically to System Administrators
interested in beefing up security.

   I also appreciated all the hacker philosophy and pragmatic
do-no-damage
hacker ethics.  The Knightmare disdains and derides "crackers" who
break
into a system in order to wreak havok; for him, "hackers" are
peaceable,
non- destructive puzzle-solvers and liberators of information.  In a
world
where the govco is ever working to extend and centralize its control
over
financial data, encryption techniques, cyberspace, and every aspect
of
people's lives, the hacker may emerge as a modern-day Robin Hood.

Thread