1994-03-19 - PGP/ViaCrypt

Header Data

From: “John B. Fleming” <FLEMINGJ@WABASH.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 58dfa50a17c528aa73a87d8bdee7bf2833a405f49d2464364965e62b5cd85d78
Message ID: <01HA4VBF8CWY0008BA@WABASH.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 20:19:54 PST

Raw message

From: "John B. Fleming" <FLEMINGJ@WABASH.EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 20:19:54 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP/ViaCrypt

I just obtained a copy of PGP 2.3a about 2-3 months ago and have been
using it off and on.  I just subscribed to this list a couple of days
ago and have seen mentions of ViaCrypt PGP.  I did a little research,
and I now know what ViaCrypt PGP is.  My question is, what are the
details surrounding the licensed RSA technology in the two.  I have
gathered that Freeware PGP does NOT have a license, and ViaCrypt PGP
does. ... Does this mean in any way that it is technically illegal to
use Freeware PGP?  Or does it even matter?

Thanks

John
-- FLEMINGJ@WABASH.EDU
-- (Please request PGP public key via e-mail)

Thread