1994-03-28 - Re: Very funny, Polyanna :-( [namespace pollution]

Header Data

From: Sameer <sameer@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Message Hash: 599a6f8765b858c5578d0f9ec97f46ab43ce989eade465d96b9f7d8e500ff5a1
Message ID: <199403282141.NAA23334@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199403281958.UAA26598@an-teallach.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-28 21:42:38 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 13:42:38 PST

Raw message

From: Sameer <sameer@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 13:42:38 PST
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Subject: Re: Very funny, Polyanna :-( [namespace pollution]

> Grrr.  I use a mailer here (that I'm developing) that automatically
> encrypts outgoing mail for user X if "<X>" can be found in my
> pgp keyring.  Unfortunately some comedian has published the
> key below...
>
> Type bits/keyID   Date       User ID
> pub   384/99CBA7 1992/11/15  Polyanna, c/o <cypherpunks@toad.com>
> 1 key(s) examined.
>
> so if I use this mailer when posting to cypherpunks, it gets
> encrypted for this idiot.  I guess this is something we mailer
> writers will just have to allow for.  Looks like I'm about
> to add a stop-list...  (removing it from the keyring won't
> be good enough, because next feature planned for my mailer
> is to look up the fingerable key-server if it isn't found locally...)

	Keep up the good work in writing that mailer.
	I think a stoplist is good for more than just jokers such as above.
	There are those who have published pgp keys but they don't
have an easy-mchanism for reading pgp messages, so most mail to them
shoulnot be encrypted.

Thread