1994-03-12 - Re:

Header Data

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 5e9e9c47dabdb2921671316c67b465ad65ca56b27232c6d197c0b58bd1dee4ee
Message ID: <0hUSEMmSMUw8A17fhh@transarc.com>
Reply To: <gate.mBsZic1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-12 15:49:24 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 07:49:24 PST

Raw message

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 07:49:24 PST
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re:

rishab@dxm.ernet.in writes:
> Reminds me of the hilarious "How to lie with statistics". What 1000 Americans?
> The sort who read Time magazine? These are probably much more likely to be
> against Clipper anyway. Any Joe 6-packs? Probably not.
> It's not a good idea to take this debate to the ordinary public. The Congress,
> yes, Time readers, yes, but not Joe 6-pack, who quite happily gave up his gun is
> not likely to be concerned about principles of privacy. Particularly as an open

_Time_ readers *are* Joe 6-pack.  Or close enough as makes no
difference.  Maybe _People_ or _USA Today_ readers are a better
approximation, but the circulation of _Time_ is so large that 80% of
it is enough to derail any political campaign.

Lyle		Transarc		707 Grant Street
412 338 4474	The Gulf Tower		Pittsburgh 15219

"Gossip is what makes the world go round. I have very few secrets.
 I would be deeply concerned if a device were marketed that could stop
 interception..."          Emma Nicholson, MP.

Thread