1994-03-10 - Re: money…

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 80f8475914bdd552503cfd3b9e0d7a6f6e4d45d6a89d0470ec16b43bf88e7718
Message ID: <9403101951.AA13777@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9403100238.AA20964@runner.utsa.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-10 19:51:47 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 11:51:47 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 11:51:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: money...

David L Womack says:
> I'd appreciate any opinions/info available
> on whether a rumor I heard is true or not.
>
> I just learned that US bills, $20 and above,
> have a magnetic strip embedded in the bill, on
> the left hand side.  Looking at the front of
> the bill, under the "U" in United States,
> it's clearly visible on those bill printed
> in 1990 and thereafter.

You didn't look very closely. Shine a light through the bill, and you
will be able to read on the strip the words "TWENTY USA" on the strip
in question. It isn't to my knowledge magnetic -- just non-xeroxable.

There is also a second security feature -- look closely at the third
ring around Andrew Jackson, and you will see that it is not a ring at
all but microprinting reading "The United States of America".

Perry

Thread