1994-03-30 - Crypto and new computing strategies

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 835b8285c3da41b36c5a590458631a2af8f48a9f91412feba22784ec76894b3c
Message ID: <9403301536.AA00533@ah.com>
Reply To: <199403301436.AA24132@zoom.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-30 15:51:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 07:51:12 PST

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 07:51:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto and new computing strategies

>First, historicaly (and emotionaly on my part) I have a hard time
>taking the premise that the status quo will stay the status quo. I
>have this belief that some bright person is going to come along and
>blow all our pipe dreams away.

When quark theory was invented, it didn't change the conservation of
mass-energy.  When quantum computers are invented, it won't change the
fact that they're still Turing machines.  If it does, that's a
revolution; I'm not waiting.

A single tape Turing machine has the same computational
ability--though not the speed--of a multitape Turing machine, of a
multihead Turing machine, of a multihead multitape Turing machine, of
a register machine, of single/multiple instruction single/multiple
data multiple register machine, of the lambda calculus, of recursive
function theory, and of pretty much every other rich computational
system every invented.  If you still don't agree, I can only steer you
to pretty much any first year formal logic textbook.

Eric

Thread