1994-03-15 - Re: Nature of RSA’s patent

Header Data

From: ag588@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John C. Brice)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8b4f149b29fddb44ae3fb24f3d8dade3520960f40d9b1ff1a32f9ca406e7ec01
Message ID: <199403151354.IAA18400@piglet.INS.CWRU.Edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 05:54:48 PST

Raw message

From: ag588@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John C. Brice)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 05:54:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Nature of RSA's patent

>> I've got a guy who's telling me that PGP-encrypted communications sent
>> into the U.S.A. from abroad can be stopped at the border as infringing
>> "products," pursuant to this statute.
>
>I know you are looking for legal advice, but the idea of some stiff trying
>to stop a communication at the "border" just seemed rather ludicrous to
>me.  Somehow I don't think he'll have much luck imposing national
>boundaries on cyberspace, which has no borders, save those of private,
>individual systems.  Once something is on the net, they'd do better of
>thinking of it as instantly being everywhere, rather than beating their
>heads against the wall with old, hidebound ideas of restricting the flow
>of information.
>
>--
>     Joel Mueller - <Insert your favorite witty quote here; I'm tired.>
>  GAT/O -d+(---) -p+ c++@ l+ u++ e m+ s+/- n- h-- f+@ g+(-) w+ t(--) ry?
>     PGP 2.3a Public Key : finger jmueller@gac.edu or on keyservers.
>       0C6D75    01 0E 16 A7 29 C4 48 75  54 CD 99 09 88 88 3C 39

While am in agreement with your sentiments, the fact remains that
governments certainly are attempting to assert their dominion over portions
of cyberspace.  Are these the final death throes of a doomed species, with
corporations and loose confederations of hackers destined to take their
places, or will this be part of the justification for a one-world
government?

I am an attorney, seeking a position in the area of Computer Law.  If you
know of such a position available, or of someone who may know of such a
position, please send e-mail!  Thanks.

Thread