1994-03-12 - Heavy remailer traffic source?

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 90f56aef7197c5420620596e736505b595d9672454f325b1debc26583b10dad1
Message ID: <199403121647.IAA08403@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 08:46:28 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 08:46:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Heavy remailer traffic source?

For the last day or two I have been getting several dozen messages
(67 today, a similar number yesterday) similar to the following:

> From remail@infinity.hip.berkeley.edu  Sat Mar 12 00:10:07 1994
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 00:05 PST
> To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
> From: nobody@infinity.hip.berkeley.edu
> Remailed-By: Remailer <remail@infinity.hip.berkeley.edu>
> Anon-To: remailer@entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: remailer@entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> Anon-To: ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
> Anon-To: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> Anon-To: ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
> Anon-To: remailer@entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: remailer@utter.dis.org
> Anon-To: remailer@rebma.mn.org
> Anon-To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: hfinney@shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: remailer@utter.dis.org
> Anon-To: remail@infinity.hip.berkeley.edu
>
> ##
> Do-Inject: Yes
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.3a
>
> rQeAYgVzdGRpbgAAAADCSE/UHZnlLco5W9yVWyw5M8XSD7rLnZFAd9IlwX5W2zkM
> [...]
> MEBR2/p7L6XuKfGQG38t4K4o7J8YbWNPDQ8qP4YeMBAg3Tvzl5tyTWN9/NN7NfCJ
> fR3k
> =ypSB
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

The "PGP" message appears to be just an ascii-armoring of random bytes.

Is this an attempt by someone to provide the "masking" remailer traffic
we have been discussing for some time?  This is OK, but I think the volume
is too high.

What is the Do-Inject: header intended to accomplish?

The message apparently is intended to provide multiple remailing addresses per
message.  However, my remailer only does one remail address per message.

Also, my remailer does not accept "Anon-To" but only "Request-Remailing-To".
So all these messages are ending up in my mail box.

Anyone want to explain these?

Hal

Thread