1994-03-02 - Cryptography Articles in April 94 Dr Dobbs Journal

Header Data

From: schneier@chinet.com (Bruce Schneier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 932fb35eadb6591c24a45d3e91580543ce8eabdb59ff3c6a8e148d3c6512b4e8
Message ID: <m0pbcjL-0002BXC@chinet.chinet.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Mar 94 17:10:57 PST

Raw message

From: schneier@chinet.com (Bruce Schneier)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 94 17:10:57 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cryptography Articles in April 94 Dr Dobbs Journal

Check out the April 94 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal.  There are
four articles on cryptography, and a cryptanalysis contest.

The first article is by myself, about the Cambridge Algorithms
Workshop last November.  The topic of the workshop was high-speed
encryption, and ten complete algorithms were presented.  The
article discusses the workshop, briefly mentions the algorithms,
and talks a little about designing secure algorithms.

The second article, by Peter Smith, talks more about the LUC
cipher.  If you remember his article in the Jan 93 DDJ, LUC is an
RSA variant that uses Lucas functions instead of exponentiation.
Even though Smith claims to have invented this scheme, it has
been around since the early 1980s (see p. 318 of my book).  In
any case, it's a good article.

William Stalling's article is about SHA.  It explains how the
algorithm works very nicely.  (If this is any indication of how
his new book will look, I am looking forward to it.)

And finally, I have an article describing a new secret-key
algorithm: Blowfish.  I presented Blowfish at the Cambridge
Workshop.  The article includes a description of the algorithm
and source code (that hopefully will compile on any machine--call
me if you have problems).

DDJ is sponsoring a cracking context for Blowfish.  You don't
have to break the entire algorithm, just finding a weakness is
sufficient.  The best attack received by 1 April 1995 wins.
Awards are $750 for first place, $250 for second, and $100 for
third.

Subscribers should expect to receive their copy of the magazine
in a week or so, and newsstand copies will be available by mid-
March.

Bruce

* Bruce Schneier
* Counterpane Systems         For a good prime, call 391581 * 2^216193 - 1
* schneier@chinet.chi.il.us

From owner-cypherpunks  Tue Mar  1 13:49:25 1994

Thread