1994-03-30 - Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Message Hash: b0e3f833c4c3fb96011f985123672ca3a904a70e928dddb5c8ce803b8c6df133
Message ID: <9403301459.AA18143@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <199403301436.AA24132@zoom.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-30 15:00:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 07:00:29 PST

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 07:00:29 PST
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Subject: Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

Jim choate writes:
 > While I can understand the commen wisdom such QM type machines are
 > not a threat to the present cyrpto-cracking horsepower race I must
 > admit I don't agree with it. First, historicaly (and emotionaly on
 > my part) I have a hard time taking the  premise that the status quo
 > will stay the status quo. I have this belief that some bright
 > person is going to come along and blow all our pipe dreams away.
 > It has happened before and it WILL happen again, especially when
 > you consider the resources available to the government.

Remember, however, that advances in technology benefit encryptors as
well as codebreakers.  Unless the "bright person" comes along and
proves P == NP, there's still opportunity to develop strong
cryptosystems.  (Indeed, if a bright person comes along and proves
that P != NP, then things look pretty good.)

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |

Thread