1994-03-14 - pgptools app wanted

Header Data

From: nates@netcom.com (Nate Sammons)
Message Hash: b2f2147abebf59ff64e918b3af828f0b7098d4cecf1a236254becad0d11c66dd
Message ID: <199403142207.OAA27743@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 14:07:08 PST

Raw message

From: nates@netcom.com (Nate Sammons)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 14:07:08 PST
Subject: pgptools app wanted

Hello punksters...

I am almost done with some remailer software and I need something:
an app that takes input from a specified file and sends output
to anothe specified file (all on command line) and asks for the
key from stdin or from an environment variable.  This I need since
PGP will not take environment vars or stdin for getting the key for
a conventionally encrypted file.

I would also like a program that will do nothing but encrypt
a file specified on the command line and dump ascii-armoured
output to another file, and ask for the password from an
environment variable or from stdin.

I am asking this since I hope someone else will have already
done this or learned pgptools well enough to do it quickly.
I thought about modifying PGP, but I also thought that many people
would not want to use my remailer if I had to hack PGP to make
it work ;-)

My remailer implements the following features:

::
Latency: ## MINUTES  (where ## is an integer or the word "RANDOM")

::
Request-Remailing-To: username@machine (of course)

::
PleaseDontPad  (keeps the mailer from padding the message)

::
Encrypted: PGP  (message is encrypted with the remailer's pubkey)

::
SubjectEnclosed  (if message is encrypted, the subject can be hidden
                  inside the encryption envelope, on lines 1-5)

::
SuperEncrypted  (if the messge is encrypted, it looks for a line in the
                 decrypted message that looks like: (on lines 1-5)
                 SuperEncryptionKey: cjkdsancuiabcdsbakjcdsabkjcdsa
                 and uses that key to decrypt the message again. )

In a configuration file, the owner can specify a few options, also:

here's an example:

# debuglevel sets the degugging level, 0 = off, 1 = on and 2 = picky.
debuglevel                2

# loglevel sets the resolution of logs:
# 0 = off.  No logs at all.
# 1 = Log Synopsis of message (from, to, subject, size, etc... not content)
# 2 = Log Full message to the mailbox specified in logmbox
# 3 = Log Full text and synopsis
loglevel                  3
logmbox                   ./log/mbox
logsynopsis               ./log/synopsis

# This is the directory that all tempfiles, etc are set relative to
homedir                   /staff/nate/dev/perl/remail

# set the maximum number of latency minutes for random latency requests
maxlatmin                 20

# the process number will be appended to this name
tempfile                  ./remailer-temp

# defaultsubject specifies the subject to use if none is given, omit to
# forward no subject at all.
defaultsubject            There is no subject.

# The mailbox that diagnostic mail and non-remialer mail is sent to.
mbox                      ./mbox

# Passphrase for PGP decryption.
passphrase                nckldanjcsancjkndsakjcdsajk

# sourceblock blocks mail coming FROM this address
sourceblock               detweiler@detweiler.org

# destblock blocks mail addressed TO the address.
destblock                 nate@vis.colostate.edu

# netblock will block all mail going to that subnet.
netblock                  whitehouse.gov

In addition to this, the owner can change the number of padding
sizes and their individual sizes... the remailer strips out the padding
when it gets a message and adds it to the end when it's about
to leave.

-nate

--
| Nate Sammons  <nates@netcom.com>  PGP Key and fingerprint via finger.
| Clipper == Big Brother Inside. Question Authority. Encrypt everything.

Thread