1994-03-01 - Problems w/ Clipper

Header Data

From: Anthony D Ortenzi <ao27+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b97b98c4a231c571d494d31d3ced5ef9e3f69ce8948749c9d29564a18bacb6c5
Message ID: <AhQiWA200iV4EDL3A6@andrew.cmu.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 23:02:59 PST

Raw message

From: Anthony D Ortenzi <ao27+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 23:02:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Problems w/ Clipper

I think that in order to cut down on the amount of bickering of the
problems that we have with Clipper, it would be best to sum up a bit.

1)  Most of us are concerned not with our own privacy if other forms of
encryption are not banned.  Many people on this list use PGP, and almost
all of the rest know damned well that they could if they thought that
they had to keep something secret. (not plugging PGP, per se, but using
it as an example because of its relatively large usage among 'punks)

In other words, our problems tend to lie in the fact that the people of
the United States are as a rule, well, not too concerned about the
privacy of their own e-mail, and don't see this as a step towards what
is in the book 1984.

2) Collectively, we seem to agree that letting the Government into our
lives in such a way as Clipper provides is not necessarily all that
evil, but if we give in a little, they will try to take it all.

Am I right?  (trying to center the discussion)

                                        Anthony Ortenzi
                                        ao27@andrew.cmu.edu

Thread