1994-03-13 - Re: Niacin warning OOPS!!!

Header Data

From: rarachel@prism.poly.edu (Arsen Ray Arachelian)
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: c8499724c2c9f2774029b664f936c8697da9474ee9496e79bc42f7c201b50977
Message ID: <9403132103.AA21764@prism.poly.edu>
Reply To: <199403121634.IAA06561@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-13 21:15:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Mar 94 13:15:28 PST

Raw message

From: rarachel@prism.poly.edu (Arsen Ray Arachelian)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 94 13:15:28 PST
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Niacin warning OOPS!!!

> From: rarachel@prism.poly.edu (Arsen Ray Arachelian)
> > you can also just pop a 400mg Niacin capsule... Niacin will
> > quickly dialate all your capilaries bringing lots of blood
> > to your face and making you look like a lobster.
> >
> > That should mess up any scan... so if you're a wanted
> > crook in an airport that uses ir-face biometrics, just
> > pop niacins like them were pop-corn. :-)
>
> I just want to warn anyone who is thinking of trying this that 400 mg
> is not the place to start with niacin.  The flushing will be extremely
> intense at that level and you will probably either think you are dying
> or wish you were.  Try 50 or 100 mg to start with.
>
> You do build up a tolerance to this effect of niacin pretty fast so
> experienced users will need higher doses to get the flushing.  But for
> a non-user lower doses are adequate.

OOPS!  I goofed!  Sorry about that, hope nobody tried that high a dose..
It's kinda hard to know what to reccomend when you're doing 1000mgs of
the stuff...  These days, I've cut down on it and only do one once a
week or so because depending on how much I've eaten before I pop a
niacin, I get the flush from hell, or no flush at all...

For the least flushing effects, take one after you eat... for
defeating the airport security infra-red scans whenever they will
come in use, eat nothing, but a single niacin at whatever dosage you
feel comfortable with.

Beware that on an empty stomach flushing will occur within a very
short while (say about 10-15 minutes or less!) so keep that time in
mind before you board the plane, and remember to pop one before
you get off the plane...

An after-effect (after the flushing) is that you may feel chills
after a large dose wore off...  I'm not sure if that actually
messes up an ir camera from ID'ing you off your normal ir scan,
or if it's just your body adjusting itself to not having
niacin in your blood, or what....

Thread