1994-03-02 - Re: encrypting the list (Was Re: Insecurity of public key)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: Eric Johnson <ejohnson@pmip.dist.maricopa.edu>
Message Hash: d6f9955d1c268558d4b975f526b46b4bb5848f4c71edaf8010df6d4a3b235fbc
Message ID: <9403021922.AA22150@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199403021828.LAA22914@pmip.dist.maricopa.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-02 19:23:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 11:23:08 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 11:23:08 PST
To: Eric Johnson <ejohnson@pmip.dist.maricopa.edu>
Subject: Re: encrypting the list (Was Re: Insecurity of public key)

Eric Johnson says:
> : You miss the point, Eric. We are advocating that IN THE FUTURE all
> : communications should be encrypted. However, FOR THE MOMENT this is
> : often impractical. Cypherpunks write code in an effort to try to bring
> : this future closer. However, making our lives impossible right now
> : will delay that future.
>
> This is hyperbole.  It would not make our lives impossible.

Speak for yourself. I process five hundred or more messages a
day. Anything that would add even moments to the time it takes me to
reply to a message would eliminate whats left of the time I spend with
my friends and S.O. Maybe you have lots of time on your hands, but the
rest of us have real lives and don't want to spend them trying to set
up a cryptography system for each of our correspondants. In a year or
so, maybe this will all likely be practical -- but it isn't now.

You are more or less like someone in 1976 advocating that everyone
quit typing and start using only word processors, when the computers
weren't yet cheap enough. Have some patience.

Perry

Thread