1994-03-07 - Re: basic RSA info

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ecf61fd55ed659dd2273e8adac55b829aa50aa9429c6e925d514bf0b06a14141
Message ID: <AhSt1ZS00VoyEAvkcG@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9403062148.A9061-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-07 20:37:19 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 12:37:19 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 12:37:19 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: basic RSA info

Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@crl.com> wrote:

> Now that I think about it.  I am sure to have messed something up.
> Please send a flame back attacking what I foobared.  Thank you.

okay...  overall pretty good tho.

> When you make an RSA key, you generate three numbers.
> Two of them are prime and one is just odd.

The encryption exponent must not contain any common factors with
(p-1)(q-1).  This means that it is always odd, but that's not
necessarily the only factor that you need to check.

>       P^s

The remainder, not the quotient.  Usually written as E = P^s mod l

Thread