1994-03-18 - CLIPPER COMPROMIZED?

Header Data

From: mech@io.com (Stanton McCandlish - EFF Online Activist/SysOp)
To: comp-org-eff-talk@cs.utexas.edu (eff.talk)
Message Hash: fa8f35d7a2af0c10e83d59e91a8bf569407760b42a4425643b2318781aac9532
Message ID: <199403181620.KAA07272@illuminati.io.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 08:27:13 PST

Raw message

From: mech@io.com (Stanton McCandlish - EFF Online Activist/SysOp)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 08:27:13 PST
To: comp-org-eff-talk@cs.utexas.edu (eff.talk)
Subject: CLIPPER COMPROMIZED?

According to a fax I received:

_____ begin fwd ___________

CLIPPER COMPROMISED?  "Security Insider Report," a monthly newsletter
published in Seminole, Fla., has reported that government officials are
seeking to determine whether former CIA employee and alleged traitor
Aldrich Ames may have sold information to the Russians about the
government's secret key-escrow technology used in Clipper Chip chipsets
and Capstone Tessera cards.  The secret key-escrow technology, dubbed
Skipjack, can be used to encrypt network voice and data.

_____ end _________________

This was faxed march 17, and consisted of part of a xeroxed page from a
publication; unfortunately I cannot tell what the publication is.
Some other headlines on it are "ARDIS aims to simplify radio-based
messaging", "Vendors curb wireless hype", "AnyLAN, anytime, anywhere",
and "Cheyenne prepares fix for ARCserv users woes".  Next to the Cheyenne
article is a round logo that says R.A.F. in large letters, and with the
following cirling the logo: Network World's Reader A[missing] Force.
"[missing]" means text that is cut off.  Anyone know what publication
this is, and which issue?  The page number is 2. My best guess is it's
Network World.  Any corroborating stories?

Thread