1994-03-03 - MAIL: remailer list

Header Data

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fdedc4fd68e6a9db267e3eb1d62c793634c837f4ebcd245d5ac09bac6d3f10e7
Message ID: <9403030219.AA27285@flammulated.owlnet.rice.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 18:19:24 PST

Raw message

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 18:19:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: MAIL: remailer list

Cypherpunks,

I was just informed by Chris Walker that the remailer
elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu is now down.  If you send mail, it bounces with
"this account is expired".

Sheesh, in the space of two weeks I've lost all four remailers I had
running at UH.  Time to set up another ;)

Cypherpunk anonymous remailers, 3/3/94

Q1: What are the anonymous remailers?

A1:

 1: remailer@chaos.bsu.edu
 2: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
 3: hh@soda.berkeley.edu
 4: hal@alumni.caltech.edu
 5: ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
 6: catalyst@netcom.com
 7: remailer@rebma.mn.org
 8: hfinney@shell.portal.com
 9: remailer@utter.dis.org
10: remailer@entropy.linet.org
11: remail@extropia.wimsey.com

NOTES:

1-3		no encryption of remailing requests
4-11		support encrypted remailing requests
11		special - header and message must be encrypted together
7,9,10,11	introduce larger than average delay (not direct connect)
7,9,11  	running on privately owned machines
3		features USENET posting

Q2: What help is available?

A2:

Check out the pub/cypherpunks/remailer directory at soda.berkeley.edu
(128.32.149.19).

chain.zip             - program that helps with using remailers
dosbat.zip            - MSDOS batch files that help with using remailers
hal's.instructions.gz - in depth instruction on how to use
hal's.remailer.gz     - remailer code
pubkeys.tar.gz        - public keys of remailers which support encryption
pubkeys.zip           - MSDOS zip file of public keys
scripts.tar.gz        - scripts that help with using remailers

Or try the cypherpunks gopher site (chaos.bsu.edu) and look in
"Anonymous Mail" for instructions.

Mail to me (klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu) for further help and/or questions.

Q3.  Email-to-Usenet gateways?

A3.

 1: group-name@cs.utexas.edu
 2: group.name.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
 3: group.name@news.demon.co.uk
 4: group.name@news.cs.indiana.edu
 5: group-name@pws.bull.com
 6: group-name@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

NOTES:

*  This does not include ones that work for single groups, like twwells.com.
*  Remember to include a Subject: with your post, may cause failures
   if missing
#6 blocks from non-berkeley sites (so use the berkeley remailers :-)

This is the remailer.data file I use with nestping, a script for
pinging anonymous remailers:

01:n:remailer@chaos.bsu.edu
02:n:nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
03:n:hh@soda.berkeley.edu