1994-04-26 - Internet Relay Chat

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 036e9ccd72bd7b876aa55d9c546f3a98e4bf46a49d03143ad101eb3a2ae15257
Message ID: <gate.5sycLc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 03:16:39 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 03:16:39 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Internet Relay Chat

I've noticed some discussions of IRC (Internet Relay Chat), both as a possible
model for CP interactions, as well as a location for implementations of
BlackNet (in #wares, etc.)

Note that IRC, unlike MUDS, has been designed to ensure 'true-names'. While
you do use nicknames, anyone can find out the machine name and user ID you are
logged in from, with a /whois. Anytime you join or leave a channel, your full
machine name and user ID is displayed to everyone, along with your nick. This
is different from any (possibly pseudonymous) e-mail address you register for
incoming mail.

In #wares, people typically trade names of unauthorised FSP sites (such as the
one in the LaMacchia case), which normally remain active for less than a few
weeks. Though entry to IRC channels can be by invitation only, everyone knows
everyone else's real (in the sense of machine and ID) identity.

Not CP-friendly at all.

It would be nice to have a #Cypherpunks channel, though... many of us don't
mind revealing our identities to each other, and it could increase the
frequency of interactive sessions greatly.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                            "What is civilisation
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                             but a ribonucleic
Voicemail +91 11 3760335; Vox/Fax/Data 6853410      hangover?"
H-34C Saket New Delhi 110017 INDIA