1994-04-30 - Random #’s via serial port dongle?

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 174c1dace87c50fbc86a78eef95c2583698ba71a38c9c61ec8bbd52de9d3d91e
Message ID: <9404300644.AA23413@ah.com>
Reply To: <m0pwxLM-000IDpC@crynwr>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-30 06:48:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 23:48:16 PDT

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 23:48:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Random #'s via serial port dongle?

>This has probably been discussed before, but has anyone built a little
>device that amplifies the white noise from a transistor junction, and
>converts it into serial data?

As Tim mentions, lots of people have talked about doing this, but few
actually have.  Nevertheless, the device is still needed and no one
has done it.

I estimate you could sell 500 at $50 each within four months if there
were PGP support for it.  And I'll give you advertising space on the
archive site.

Real random numbers should be a standard part of every computer.

Eric

Thread