1994-04-22 - Re: BlackNet here now?

Header Data

From: Tortoise <68954@brahms.udel.edu>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 26c432c7ba81214a0406d8ea6c67468427413524a113a597460f14af268c01a5
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9404212013.A4975-0100000@brahms.udel.edu>
Reply To: <199404212334.AA22339@srl03.cacs.usl.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-22 00:49:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 17:49:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Tortoise <68954@brahms.udel.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 17:49:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: BlackNet here now?

On Thu, 21 Apr 1994, Phil G. Fraering wrote:

> Funny how the old "classical" hackers/crackers/etc. don't seem
> to be as enthusiastic about technology for creating privacy as
> they were supposedly in the old days about technology for violating
> security.
>
> I wonder if these guys are the Fed's great untapped resource for
> bugging the rest of us.

	Well you have to understand that the people who usually hang out
on #hackl, #warez etc.. are really just the lower end of the scale when
it comes to ability and commitment.  Sure a REAL hack/crack/phreaker
comes on once in a great while, but most of them are just kids out trying
to makea name for themsleves and ragging on each other etc...

	Most of the real hackers etc.. are all for crypto and such to
ensure privacy.  Some even write their own code for it and utilize it
alot.  It pays to know about it, and when it's a real hacker you bvet
they know alot about it just out of standard hacker curiosity.  Myself, I
wish I knew that much, but im learning everyday.  My newest project that
me and someone else on the list are working on is a simple implementation
of Unix's Talk.  The y-talk that is encrypted has a hard time compiling
on all the systems I have tried it so we are going to go for something
simpler and more portable perhaps.  When I try to compile the YTalk app
on soda, i get barfs from SunOS, and Linux.

	So far we are going to use a "gollman cascade" (sp?) as a tream
cypher.  If anyone else out there has any good stream cyphers that are
decent in security and speed please let me know.  But so far the one we
have now seems to be the easiest t implement within our limited coding
skills.

	You're eqipped with a hundred billion nueron brain, that's
	wired and fired, and it's a reality generating device, but
	you've got too do it.  Free youself  ----Tim Leary----

Thread