1994-04-20 - Re: Privacy and the lack thereof.

Header Data

From: “Christian D. Odhner” <cdodhner@indirect.com>
To: Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Message Hash: 38746dc43c2d4e238aff0fe16e142618d69aa0aac2803e96da915dfde959f46a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9404200334.C219-0100000@id1.indirect.com>
Reply To: <9404192317.AA12080@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-20 10:30:19 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 03:30:19 PDT

Raw message

From: "Christian D. Odhner" <cdodhner@indirect.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 03:30:19 PDT
To: Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Subject: Re: Privacy and the lack thereof.

On Tue, 19 Apr 1994, Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ wrote:

> name/id.  Safe at last, or are you?  What if "they" analyzed all the
> ATM machines in that general area and got a report of everyone who
> withdrew Gun_Price + 0-to-100 dollars. (Spending money).  They could
> narrow it down and eventually, since they suspect you anyway, get your
> pix from the ATM video camera.  Take this to the gun man and you're id'd.
>
> My point?  Does everyone do what I do... carry little cash and when you
> want to buy something with cash go to a machine and take it out within an
> hour of your purchase?  It seems to me if this is typical then we need to
> look at changing that habit since it can lead someone to you, albeit with
> great difficulty.

Jim, I am so glad I am not as paranoid as you. It would make my life a
very distubing and scarry place to be. I am also glad that you *are* that
paranoid, because I wouldn't have thought of that and it's the kind of
thing that at least needs to be _mentioned_ in any serious discussion of
security, privacy, anonymity, etc... even if it is hard to do anything to
deter such a determined and powerfull (hopefully imaginary) opponent.
Next time I make an illegal puchase, I'll be sure to have my picture
taken at an ATM 10 miles away *at the same time* as the purchase is being
made. If 'the infamous they' attempt such a corrolation, they will
discover proof posotive that I did *not* make said purchase!  <g>

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner@indirect.com	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11