1994-04-26 - Re: CU Crypto Session Sat

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: eagle@deeptht.armory.com
Message Hash: 392c19a6be8b69304505d442a14c69c6e397be0da4ea70d56af1bf08ed61acf5
Message ID: <199404260839.BAA28964@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9404242131.aa04743@deeptht.armory.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-26 08:39:28 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 01:39:28 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 01:39:28 PDT
To: eagle@deeptht.armory.com
Subject: Re: CU Crypto Session Sat

>Denning mentioned terrorists.  I rebutted with satellite surviellance.  I
>pointed out that we could read a poker hand via computer enhancement.  This
>visibly shook her.  Escrowed encryption is completely unnecessary, and she

Some time ago I worked out the theoretical limits on spy satellite
resolution.  It's a simple exercise in optics, if you make optimistic
assumptions like no atmospheric distortion, etc. My only major
engineering assumption was that the objective mirror had to fit inside
the payload fairing of a Titan launcher, i.e., about 2 meters max. The
result, at visible wavelengths and for the slant ranges typical of spy
satellite orbits, was about 1 foot. This was completely consistent
with the leaked KH-11 photos of the Soviet aircraft carrier published
some time back in AW&ST and Deep Black.  Good, but not exactly good
enough to read poker hands, I would say.

Believe it or not, the laws of physics apply even to classified projects.

Phil

Thread