1994-04-26 - RE: Milgram & Authority

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3fb98b5979d87403beef02c3d79f1934aa0c7d8352a0cc4f36043d8825126925
Message ID: <9404261932.AA17296@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 13:31:43 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 13:31:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Milgram & Authority

From: Hal

We have as much responsibility as Milgram to consider the likely
results if we succeed.  It will be a different world, and, we hope, a
better one.  But some things will be worse, of that there is little
doubt.  We must constantly weigh the bad against the good and take
actions on that basis, rather than blindly and unthinkingly seeking to
push the envelope just to see what happens.

I was thinking that perhaps Phil Zimmerman is under "fire" at this time
because the powers-that-be have concluded that he pushed the envelope
of liberty to an unacceptable degree; that he has been categorized by
them as having taken a "bad" action without forethought in regard of
the adverse consequences which will befall society, if everyone is in
full possession of their very own secret code.

Reading what Hal said earlier about PhilZ's qualities of character, I
was thinking - if this is the kind of person whom they would define as
a criminal, that his actions would be considered irresponsible and
damaging, then it makes sense that from their perspective he should be
subjected to investigation and prosecution (persecution?).

Were their concerns based on the fact that he has introduced a
dangerous tool into the "herd"?
Was it that he had overstepped the boundaries of the authority allowed
to him as a citizen unit?
Was it that they feel threatened by what he represents to them in the
kind of person he is (not respecting of their authority), or by the
situation which was created when he made available his software to all?

I'm examining the perspective from which one makes conclusions about
human actions per se;  how decisions about which actions to take depend
upon how one interprets the situation.

This discussion originally developed from the question of whether
humans have herd instincts and whether this explains their behavior in
the face of "authority".   In a herd, the bovines don't have much room
to see beyond the next cow, and it would be difficult to see why those
in front will go in one direction or another, but it would be easy to
follow along based on the presumption that the ones at the front who
have the better view will also know why what direction to take better
than those stuck somewhere in the middle.

This experiment was a contrived fabrication, an 'experiment'.  The
information available about it was mostly limited to what the
researcher provided, and some exaggerated behavior from the actors (I
guess it was mostly sound?).  I expect that the test subjects believed
that the 'tortured ones' were in consent to being subjected to the
supposed suffering with which they were being inflicted (right?),
unlike a real circumstance wherein the torture would have been repelled
and the participants would have had no cause to deliver it.  In real
life, there must be cause for behavior - things must make sense to the
person who is interpreting the situation and making decisions about what to do.

From the perspective of many on this list, it's wrong to abdicate from
personal responsibility even under stressful circumstances; on the
other hand, the above example presents good argument for authoritative
types who think it is necessary to lead people around by the nose
because otherwise, it is claimed, they will not be able to make good
moral decisions when left to their own devices (or Phil Zimmerman's
devices).  That they should be subject to an external authority because
they cannot be trusted to know when to accept responsibility.

Blanc

Thread