1994-04-26 - Re: punknet

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Message Hash: 46adef750a06e3b85bee3958f835c0d4ddc59a8d1a3a333d34237da86f4784f2
Message ID: <8hjNeRO00awTACnUU3@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <shjLX4iSMUw8Q0rtB1@transarc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-26 22:51:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 15:51:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 15:51:57 PDT
To: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Subject: Re: punknet

Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com wrote:

> A couple of my neighbors and I were talking about setting up a
> short-distance radio LAN (we talked about just running coax,
> but one of them is across a street and about 60 yds down, we
> don't want to buy/lease rights-of-way, etc).  While I know
> my way around a soldering iron, I haven't designed a circuit
> in 10 years, and even then they weren't terribly complicated.
> Pointers to commercially available hardware or kit plans
> would be appreciated.

Well, I did something similiar about 3 years ago with a friend.  But we
just laid a wire down on the street one evening, spread roofing tar over
it (the liquid sealant type) and let it dry overnight. :)  If your
street has had many patches/repairs over the years, it's unlikely a
casual observer would notice.  (Those that did notice ours thought it
was pretty creative...)

But anyway, on the radio circuit: Building a radio transceiver isn't too
difficult...but connecting it to your computer could be.  Probably the
easiest thing to do is get a simple analog transciever, and use a
error-correcting modem.  Unfortunately that wouldn't be much better than
doing it over the phone anyway...  But let me know how you're project
works out, I might be interested in doing something similiar.

Thread