1994-04-19 - Re: BEST Inc.

Header Data

From: Thomas Riggley <jester@grex.cyberspace.org>
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@crl.com>
Message Hash: 47d34d08fcd579c748e3e2b171845d87ad606f19829da8408226b5dfd6970ab0
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9404190457.A29073-b100000@grex.cyberspace.org>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9404181914.A4872-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-19 08:26:19 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 01:26:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Thomas Riggley <jester@grex.cyberspace.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 01:26:19 PDT
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@crl.com>
Subject: Re: BEST Inc.

On Mon, 18 Apr 1994, Jeremy Cooper wrote:

> > 	I was in a BEST store yesterday, and attempted to pay by check.  They
> > asked for ID to verify the check and when I handed them my military ID, they
> > asked for my driver's license instead.  I gave them my driver's license and
> > they used it and the magnetic strip on the back of it to verify my check.  I
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> >From what I know, there is no law that says you have to keep that
> magnetic strip up to date.  Just have a little meeting between it and Mr.
> Refridgerator magnet and you could end up with some surprising results.

	Is this true? I am a NY state resident. I am under the impression that
altering either the bar code or the mag strip on the back of my license
would be as illegal as say changing the picture (Not that this is possible
in with the new NY licenses).  I do not know the legality behind this but
I am aware that altering a license in ANYWAY is illegal.  Although what
you are suggesting is VERY difficult to prove, it is still I would think
illegal.  Unless anyone has any legal information to the contrary....

	I would also guess that these states that have the mag strips on
their license also have fines for non-oprative strips.  If they do not, I
am sure the law will be created so enough!
		-Tom

Thread