1994-04-14 - Encrypted Telephones

Header Data

From: Eric Blossom <eb@sr.hp.com>
To: strat@cis.ksu.edu
Message Hash: 52ad900fdae4946a4a2c5f363daa2d89216605ec7daf72d3b309770f75695578
Message ID: <9404142246.AA06261@srlr14.sr.hp.com>
Reply To: <199404140717.CAA14134@draconis.cis.ksu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-14 22:41:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 15:41:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Blossom <eb@sr.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 15:41:21 PDT
To: strat@cis.ksu.edu
Subject: Encrypted Telephones

Steve Davis writes:

> Timothy C. May writes:
>
> > Yes, several such projects are underway. Eric Blossom even showed a
> > PCB of one at a Cypherpunks meeting, using an inexpensive DSP chip.
>
> So when will the schematics and part numbers be posted for all to see? ;-)

At this moment our primary efforts are on developing a family of
extensible protocols for both encryption and voice across point to
point links.  We indend to use existing standards where ever possible.

We are currently planning on building on top of the RFCs for PPP (see
RFCs 1549, 1548, and 1334).  The basic idea is to add a new Link
Control Protocol (or possibly a Network Control Protocol) that will
negotiate base and modulus and perform DH key exchange.  Some forms of
Authentication are already supported by RFCs.  We're looking at
others.

The next layer up will perform an encrypted negotiation (using a fixed
algorithm, perhaps Hellman-Pohlig) of the type of encryption to use
for the session.  This includes algorithm and modes.  We are currently
looking at 3DES or IDEA in OFB-64 or OFB-8.  This gives you a
synchronous stream cipher that does not propagate errors.

At this point, you have an encrypted tunnel.

The next layer up will negotiate the voice protocol, and support for
muxing data and voice.  On the voice front, we are looking at FED-STD
1015 LPC-10eV55 (2400bps), FED-STD 1016 CELP (4800bps) and a couple of
CVSD variants in the 13000 - 28800bps range.  There is a MILSPEC for
CVSD.  CVSD has the advantage of being cheap to compute, but since the
data rate is higher, your crypto demands are higher.

For those of you unfamiliar with PPP, it provides a very nice
framework for negotiating options across both ends.  The same
automaton can be used for each layer, simplifying matters greatly.

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.  I'll probably have a
complete draft available in a week or so.

Stay tuned for further developments...

Eric Blossom

Thread