1994-04-17 - Re: Aliases (general case)

Header Data

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
To: dwomack@runner.jpl.utsa.edu (David L Womack)
Message Hash: 5564e6614727b31540115da9460528ba0f67f143f6a4b078370dd3a13c6def95
Message ID: <9404171831.AA07617@jungle.meaddata.com>
Reply To: <9404122154.AA11300@runner.utsa.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-17 18:29:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 11:29:36 PDT

Raw message

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 11:29:36 PDT
To: dwomack@runner.jpl.utsa.edu (David L Womack)
Subject: Re: Aliases (general case)

> Actually, it is legal to use an alias for any
> number of things, including the phone book,
> *_so long as the purpose is not to defraud_*;
> thus, using Mother Teresa Charities might be
> so construed, while using Sam Jones probably
> would not be.  There are prohibitions against
> using false ID...driver's lic., passport,
> and so forth...but not against using an
> alias.  This is all after consultation
> with my attorney...
>
> As a side note, it is possible in Texas to
> file an "assumed name" at the courthouse
> of the county(ies) wherein you plan to
> do business...costs about $15, including the
> notary fees, and lasts 10 years.  You can
> have almost anything for a name....and what
> would be more natural than having your new
> "business name" in the phone book?  Nice,
> legal...and cheap (except a business line
> is a bit more expensive).  Can this be done
> in other states?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

In Ohio, you are supposed to file a Ficticious Name form for $15 or
so, but I was in business for years before I even knew about it.  I
don't know if it's practically required or not.

Businesses using an assumed name are supposed to be noted in certain
places as "so and so dba FRED's USED STUFF"
		     ^^^   Doing Business AS

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw@lig.net

Thread