1994-04-05 - Re: Detweilering (was Re: Positive uses for PGP)

Header Data

From: mech@eff.org (Stanton McCandlish)
To: eff-mail-cypherpunks@eff.org
Message Hash: 67d844c73b1cf0f278ad4398b88816e6d5ed8767a1df28c8499561de2cf422d8
Message ID: <2ns300$mro@eff.org>
Reply To: <9404031439.AA03546@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-05 16:18:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 09:18:33 PDT

Raw message

From: mech@eff.org (Stanton McCandlish)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 09:18:33 PDT
To: eff-mail-cypherpunks@eff.org
Subject: Re: Detweilering (was Re: Positive uses for PGP)

In article <Pine.3.89.9404031126.A27596-0100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>,
Robert A. Hayden <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 3 Apr 1994, Mike McNally wrote:
>
>> I'm not Detweilering; I speak of the ostensible use of the signature
>> chain.)
>
>Detweilering?
>
>Sounds like an entry we need to get put into future versions of a Jargon
>File.

Certainly, but as I recall it was "to detweil", rather than "to
detweiler", though the latter should probably be recorded as a "dialectal
variation".  Someone needs to come up with a precise definition, and I'll
submit it for the Jargon file.  I think some old posts using the term
would be of value for authenticating it.

[NB: I have a far less dim view of LD that most of you, since I've seen
him do useful work, so it's nothing personal.  The word detweil, however, is
an honest-to-goodness incidence of a new term arising in the language of
it's own accord, regardless of how anyone feels about it, so it ought to
be recorded for posterity.]
--
Stanton McCandlish * mech@eff.org * Electronic Frontier Found. OnlineActivist
F O R   M O R E   I N F O,    E - M A I L    T O:     I N F O @ E F F . O R G