1994-04-27 - Re: Schneier’s source code

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@snark.imsi.com>
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 70d1eaef90c71dec5245ec8235241e2a5e492f4ca6ba09ef8c73f9af59eb3a0e
Message ID: <9404271128.AA09334@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199404262320.QAA00764@servo.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-27 11:28:50 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 04:28:50 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 04:28:50 PDT
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Schneier's source code

Phil Karn says:
> Oh come on, all this talk about OCR makes it sound like nobody would ever
> be willing to just type in the code by hand. It only need be done once,
> and the task could easily be divided up for a group. The listings for any
> particular cipher just aren't that long.

Furthermore, assuming your request to export Bruce's floppy is
accepted, this whole nonsense is over, and assuming its rejected, a
lawsuit can be started to assure that the nonsense will be over with.
I think it pays to spend more time hacking law and less hacking code
in this instance.

I must admit, however, that I may be the origin of some of this stuff.
I was talking about a year ago about printing the PGP sources in a
book in OCR B.

Perry

Thread