1994-04-28 - Re: Gee…

Header Data

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 73919ab6175224773d85c5f496e7824d7c595de56002f2db8574a044210592ae
Message ID: <199404280623.CAA07975@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 23:24:43 PDT

Raw message

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 23:24:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Gee...

At 12:21 PM 4/27/94 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>Wrong on both counts.  Getting it out legally would be nice--it's a great
>*fallback* position--but that's not the object of the game.  The idea is
>to get it out and make it widely available.  Period.

Maybe of your game.  My game is to get cryptography available to all,
without violating the law.  This mean fighting Clipper, fighting idiotic
export restraints, getting the government to change it's stance on
cryptography, through arguements and letter pointing out the problems (I
love Phil Karn's CJ request, because it points out some of the idiocy
behind some of the regulations).  This means writing or promoting strong
cryptography.

By violating the law, you give them the chance to brand you "criminal," and
ignore/encourage others to ignore what you have to say.

>The Constitution and other laws are not magic talismans.  It is fantasy
>thinking that technical compliance with the government's laws renders
>them "completely powerless."  A Smith & Wesson beats four-of-a-kind.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.  Them being the laws or
the government?

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                                     MIME, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu                       finger for RIPEM public key