1994-04-20 - Re: What the heck is this? Optical noise encryption?

Header Data

From: Grand Epopt Feotus <68954@brahms.udel.edu>
To: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Message Hash: 8eb30d2a0834e87586fabf65c276ddb49728a8895b2007698da608ca218d227d
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9404201609.A4009-0100000@brahms.udel.edu>
Reply To: <9404201724.AA10742@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-20 20:15:21 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 13:15:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Grand Epopt Feotus <68954@brahms.udel.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 13:15:21 PDT
To: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Subject: Re: What the heck is this? Optical noise encryption?

On Wed, 20 Apr 1994 wcs@anchor.ho.att.com wrote:

> > All this "encryption with chaos" stuff just adds up to "look at my
> > fancy PRNG", which of course is a game that crypto people have been
> > playing for a long time. I'm starting to get alarm bells go off every
> > time "chaos" is mentioned.
>
> Yeah.  On the other hand, chaotic stuff like Mandelbrot and Julia sets
> are good for generating lots of pretty pictures to hide steganography
> under, as long as you leave out the coordinates you're generating from.

	I think even still it would be unwise to steno anything into a
picture that is mathematically generated.  A picture such as a scanned
one, or perhaps another less rigid graphic would be a better idea.  It
may only be a small difference that it makes, but if your playing for
keeps, well you know.
	The talk of chaos etc..  usually peeves me sometimes because it
has turned into a buzzword really.  Be careful what you call chaotic,
cause it could be something else just buzzed into that category.  Hmm
actually a chaotic attractor would be detrimental to a PRNG, so at best
maybe it's a good idea to stay away from functions that are porven to
have attractors sicne your random numbers would be drawn in.  one example
I can think of is the Ikeda attractor.  It's incredibly complex and you
can never tell where the next iteration will pop up, BUT you always no
it's inside the attractor, that is after you throw out the first few
iteration while it is pulled in.
	I am taking  acourse in Chaos Theory this semester, and I'll be
sure to ask the prof about this application.

	You're eqipped with a hundred billion nueron brain, that's
	wired and fired, and it's a reality generating device, but
	you've got too do it.  Free youself  ----Tim Leary----

Thread