1994-04-11 - Zero Knowledge, Hamiltonian Cycles, and Passwords

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a5f45c7553cd26bce44e98369edb2a78baf84f7222e10097d3acfe154a0e1c38
Message ID: <9404112125.AA20179@ah.com>
Reply To: <199404101927.MAA07698@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-11 21:35:56 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 14:35:56 PDT

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 14:35:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Zero Knowledge, Hamiltonian Cycles, and Passwords

>As they say, "anything provable in first order logic is provable in a
>ZKIPS system." I'm not sure what it means to "prove" you know a method
>of factoring numbers (faster than the "normal" methods, presumably)

You say something like "there exists a machine M such that ...".  This
can be put into a first order logic statement, but it requires a proof
of correctness that the machine works as advertised.

I don't think it would be practical to actually _do_ such a proof yet.

Eric

Thread