1994-04-25 - Milgram & Authority

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: a8c4046b4756da3b201c0ab93a17023f6f70d4bb9554ee9932d3dffcf9e0c6f5
Message ID: <199404251536.AA05269@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 08:36:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 08:36:27 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Milgram & Authority

E>Milgram had 66% go to the end of the board with the subjects believing
E>they had killed a person with electric shock.

Sorry I didn't see this thread before it trailed off into personal
disputes.  One of my favorites.

Anyone interested in liberty or politics should have read "Obedience to
Authority" in which the results of this experiment are reported for
popular consumption.

************

Search term: milgram

Milgram, Stanley
--------------------------------
The American social psychologist Stanley Milgram, b.  New York City, Aug.
 15,1933, d.  Dec.  20, 1984, gained wide recognition for the experiments
described in his book. Obedience to Authority (1974).  In one,
"technicians" urged participants to give a series of electric shocks of
increasingly higher voltage to "subjects" who had incorrectly answered
questions.  About 60 percent compiled.  No voltage was actually applied:
the subjects were actors who feigned agony. Milgram took the results as
proof that ordinary people will inflict pain on innocent people when
commanded by an authoritative figure.

************

There was also a made for TV movie starring William Shatner as the
researcher.

Helps you understand "how they could do that" when confronted with
atrocities.

DCF

"Why did you use force or violence to overthrow the government of the
United States?"

"I vuz only followink ourders!"
--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread