1994-04-08 - password matrix thing for Windows:

Header Data

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Message Hash: a8ed1b1262909370a4a214b2fc89c274e07769e085982d6c6577b9b18436e8ee
Message ID: <199404081702.NAA04154@eff.org>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Apr 94 10:02:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 94 10:02:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Subject: password matrix thing for Windows:

This was uploaded to us.  I'm wondering 2 things:

1) is it worth archiving - that is, is it a good idea, or a security risk
   for anyone that used it, and
2) would it qualify as an ITAR export-controlled crypto product.

I have my own ideas about this, but am interested in 2nd opinions.

Here's the readme for it (the package is psswrd30.zip)

Password Matrix 3.0

Written by Thomas Hassler

This Windows utility was written for my personal use and I then decided that
it might be marketable.  The basic concept of this program is fairly simple:

        It was created to be used in conjunction with an encryption
        utility like that of Norton Utilities and other shareware
        versions around.  This program allows people in a group to
        pass encrypted files around with the password embedded in
        the filename.

        Let me explain.  This utility uses a matrix (you get to make
        your own) to encode a filename from a password.  This would
        be incredibly complex if one used any old characters... so
        I used only numbers in my matrix.  this simplifies things
        and still allows a HUGE number of possible matrices.  Version
        3.0 will generate a random password and its corresponding
        filename, decode a filename, or encode a filename to or from
        a password.

        Once you see it in action you will see exactly what I mean.
        In the fully registered version ($10) there is a functioning
        filefinder (directory tree) that you can double-click on a
        filename and it decodes the password instantly.  If you
        use this program consistently, please register and you will
        have full benefits.

Future versions (registered users get prior notice) may contain:

                Random matrix generation
                Drag and drop (file to program and decrypts)
                Multiple user defined matrices

Thank you for supportin Hossware!

Thread