1994-04-08 - problems with key escrow?

Header Data

From: mike@EGFABT.ORG (Mike Sherwood)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b4e557a21f86cc7dad89a6f6f8c8219fa17fe1c12f35d0a9807819ec967b2804
Message ID: <kRsFkc1w165w@EGFABT.ORG>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 19:05:43 PDT

Raw message

From: mike@EGFABT.ORG (Mike Sherwood)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 19:05:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: problems with key escrow?

I was thinking about the problems that people have with escrowed keys and
was wondering a few things.  For one, things like the clipper chip would
not give law enforcement agencies any new abilities or powers - they are
currently allowed to tap a phone conversation iff they have a court order
to do so.  escrowed clipper keys would only be revealed if a court had
decided that there was enough evidence against someone to justify a
wiretap (and the accompanying keys).  so these could only be revealed in
the case of criminal activity (or reasonable suspicion thereof), which
means that most people wouldn't have anything to worry about.  now, is
the real problem that the key escrow agency is the weakest link in the
chain of security? that people don't trust the government having these
things since they could quietly copy the database to the nsa? what about
the possibility of having some organization like, but not necessarily the
eff hold onto keys so that they would reveal them, or better, decrypt
only in the case of a court order, but they would also make it publicly
known if the nsa tried to claim they had an inherent right to all of the
info.

I haven't really thought too much about this one way or the other, but I
thought it would be worthwhile to get some others' opinions.
-Mike

--
Mike Sherwood
internet: mike@EGFABT.ORG     uucp: ...!sgiblab!egfabt!mike