1994-04-03 - VISA’s digital cash

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b951750c8b9493e755011592c708b4bcb2b102286704aa5bb54b909d39dfb292
Message ID: <48315.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Apr 94 10:27:40 PDT

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 94 10:27:40 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: VISA's digital cash

Today's (April 3) Washington Post business section has an article on
a consortium of VISA and banks working on a digital cash card.

Did I sleep thru the messages, or has the list been scooped?

Basic story is that the card is a smartcard, designed to be reused,
and suitable for small quantities. Nothing in the article about what would
prevent it from storing large amounts. No serious technical discussion
either, but I infer that it is an online cash card.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread