1994-04-15 - remailers for kids

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ba5f893cf5b2834d23e41216c16c2e6de3426758bc0087fe1c100700a7b3946f
Message ID: <199404150548.BAA19113@galt.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 22:48:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 22:48:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: remailers for kids

To: turet@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: K12 Personal Security
Newsgroups: comp.society.privacy

In article <comp-privacy4.52.6@cs.uwm.edu> you write:

>Dear Netters:
>
>I recently have become involved in a project to implement Internet
>feeds to some elementary/high schools.  Actually, they already have the
>feeds and the hardware, we're putting together a science/math
>curriculum, also using Mosaic.  I recently (re-)started looking at the
>k12 newsgroups, which I haven't done in a few years, since my kids were
>small.  It struck me that there could be a possibility for abuse of the
>system, for example in the 'chat' or 'pen-pals' groups and access to
>names/addresses/phone #'s by those with less than salutory intentions.
>
>Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with this, and is
>this an appropriate newgroup for this discussion?  I hope I'm simply
>being parental (fatherly) and not paranoid.
>
>I would like something like this to be a long thread, since I want to
>explore this aspect of things before we just go head-long into the
>network with the little kids and expose them to potential problems
>later on.
>
>--Phil Turet   >>  turet@pmel.noaa.gov

Funny you should ask this.

I had a conversation just yesterday with a relatively new parent who is
really scared about the Internet because it leaves kids exposed to wierdos.

Rather than ask for elimination of anonymity for weirdos, he was asking for
anonymity for the kids -- not just the e-mail address hiding of various
remailers but also an automatic filter on postings to remove (or translate)
names, addresses and phone numbers.

I know of no one who has done anything beyond hiding e-mail addresses but
that software exists, at least.  (I've cc:'ed them here.)

Perhaps some will have thoughts on the rest of the problem.

 - Carl

--
 Carl M. Ellison                                     cme@sw.stratus.com
 RIPEM MD5OfPublicKey: 39D9860686A9F075A9A83D49589C677A

Thread