1994-04-25 - Re: Wow, what a key!

Header Data

From: Ed Carp <ecarp@netcom.com>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: d3ebcb57f746be4500c02ac915f5ce70dbb296181ddb335694121847dea53385
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9404251427.A28811-0100000@netcom10>
Reply To: <9404252019.AA05719@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-25 21:16:24 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 14:16:24 PDT

Raw message

From: Ed Carp <ecarp@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 14:16:24 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: Wow, what a key!

On Mon, 25 Apr 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Ed Carp says:
> > In that spirit, spurred on by my f**king netcom account being broken into
> > by some idiot with a packet sniffer, I've been looking into hacking
> > "pgptalk" (actually, ytalk with a popen() call to pgp and D-H key
> > exchange) to provide the same sort of functionality for telnet.  The
> > target platforms are SunOS (which is what netcom runs) and linux.
>
> As I've mentioned previously to people, there is an actual, live,
> honest to god RFC for doing authentication and encryption of telnet
> sessions, and the 4.4 BSD release contains the actual, honest to god
> code. I would suggest looking at that before reinventing the wheel.
> All sites ought to support it -- its a big win.

Well, last time I looked for it, I couldn't find it.  And doesn't it use DES?
What does it use for key exchange?  I'd also have to hack it quite a bit
to port it to linux, I think.  But if you could point me to an FTP site
that has the code, I'd be willing to look at it.

Come to think of it, the last time I looked, I *did* find it on a Walnut
Creek CD-ROM FTP server - but it wasn't complete, and it had no
instructions for adding the DES code.  Could you refer me to a site that
has the COMPLETE code, ready-to-build?

Thread