1994-04-12 - Re: alias in phone book

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@snark.imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ea45d17ded06ee487d9f330ad5267cbe44f0bd9c74399806b647e16e29316afc
Message ID: <9404121936.AA25442@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9404121902.AA21744@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-12 19:36:20 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 12:36:20 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 12:36:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: alias in phone book

Eric Hughes says:
> >A professor of communications has brought up the fact that it is illegal
> >to use a pseudo in the white pages of the phone book.  Is this the case?
>
> I would suggest first, to ask this professor to make a legal citation,
> and if one is not forthcoming, to ask for a retraction of the claim.

A friend of mine who's a lawyer has a subtle pseudo in the phone book
because he doesn't want to be harrassed at home by clients. (Basically
he's listed under a deliberate misspelling of his name.) The phone
company cheerfully listed him under a different name than the one on
his bill. The "professor" in question is likely very very wrong.

Perry

Thread