1994-04-03 - Re: Politics do not belong here

Header Data

From: Julietta <albright@scf.usc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ed4a4a8032e2cdc488ef0b0bb47f7d589606d67ebc2c8d82f238f1ee3e9771de
Message ID: <199404030036.QAA21257@nunki.usc.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Apr 94 16:25:33 PST

Raw message

From: Julietta <albright@scf.usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 94 16:25:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Politics do not belong here

Jer-
	I'm sorry, but I feel so strongly about your message "Politics do
not belong on this list" that I was compelled to reply...
	Where else should the poltical implications of  encryption be
discussed, if not amongst those who are most involved in its creation and
proliferation?  The political use and misuse of power is central to the
issues regarding encryption, and these ramifications should be discussed as
the technology is in its infancy. Encryption technology can be used as a
tool to empower the individual, or it can be used as a means to lend a
false security to the individual in his communications. If in fact the
Clipper Chip with its easily obtainable (by government agencies) escrow
keys is allowed to be implimented, we may in fact be assisting the
government to effect a survelliance state of a maginitude never before seen
in society. As American homes become host to "interactive" technologies, we
need to realize the increased ability this brings for surveillance by both
government and capitalistic enterprises. Encryption is one viable solution
to re-instate the privacy equlibrium in the face of such a condition- this
is where its power lies.
	Encryption, then, is not merely a mathematical tool, but also a
sociological one; to discuss merely the technological and not the social
and moral implications of this techology would be to not realize its full
potential as a mediator to the coming state of "Big Brother is watching
You". Politics, then, is not periferal but central to the discussion of
encryption technology.

     Julie

Julie M. Albright
Ph.D Student