1994-04-15 - Re: Safeway + Your Privacy

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: killbarny@aol.com
Message Hash: ee197c8e7f86c0033c95930b06d31c8b4c1dd307b1770c6157bbf967d8210d45
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9404151229.A4531-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
Reply To: <9404151154.tn25740@aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-15 19:23:58 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 12:23:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 12:23:58 PDT
To: killbarny@aol.com
Subject: Re: Safeway + Your Privacy

C'punks,

On Fri, 15 Apr 1994 killbarny@aol.com wrote:

> Safeway food stores has this neat little glitch in their shopping database
> that is just ripe for abuse and litigation. When you pay by check, your
> information is recorded and stored in their computers, so the next time you
> go in there and try to get out your ID [for your check], they say "Don't
> bother, we have that information."
>
> So if Joe bad guy gets ahold of your checkbook, writes a bunch of checks,
> let's say, over a weekend, Safeway doesn't care because the computer sez your
> account is Kosher.

Nonsense.  Of course they care, because they will have to eat the bad
check, not you.

> Hopefully, someone will have this awful thing happen to them and sue the
> Shit out of Safeway for being so negligent.  [ irrevelvant rant against
> Safeway's hiring practices ] . . . I only wish I had someone steal my
> checkbook and take Safeway to the cleaners.

And what, pray tell, would be your cause of action?  Why don't you just
pay cash if you are so bothered?

 S a n d y

Thread