1994-04-25 - Re: Please be patient with me.

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM (Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ)
Message Hash: ee2bfdb18dfe17fcc2add95abe48e44cbed9557f74fabc540fc7341cb5bd6bb5
Message ID: <199404250435.VAA19245@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9404250310.AA19895@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-25 04:34:22 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Apr 94 21:34:22 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 94 21:34:22 PDT
To: jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM (Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ)
Subject: Re: Please be patient with me.

Jim Sewell writes:

> I'm only going to take a small part of the post.  Please don't hurl rocks
> at me...
>
> <My computer told me that Llywelyn said:>
> > ASIDE:  I often wonder why people don't want us in the inner city to have
> > guns.  I wonder if its just a bit of racism that fears the empowerment of
> > people with guns, ...
>   1. Why are all "inner city" residents black?  In Louisville, KY where I

...much stuff elided...

I haven't been participating in this thread, as I have no energy for
standard old statist vs. libertarian and ban guns vs. Second Amendment
arguments. And I'm not going to start participating now.

Why I'm writing is to say I won't "have patience" (the title of Jim's
thread here) with someone who 40 minutes earlier (10:29 pm, EDT) was
lecturing us all on how inappropriate this thread is and how we all
ought to "take it to e-mail."

I've generally noticed here (and throughout the Net, possibly
throughout the Real World) there are folks who lecture about something
being inappropriate---and then can't contain themselves and have to
add more crap. Often the complainers about some discussion being
"off-topic" are themselves the worst offenders in terms of not knowing
when to let an argument just drop.

(No offense to my friends for whom this applies.)

Topics ebb and flow on this list, and it seems to me that the issues
surrounding the door-to-door searches of a housing project have at
least _some_ relevance to cryptography and the issues we usually talk
about. I tend to agree, though, that the recent discussions are mostly
just personal rants.

Far be it from me, though, to urge that a topic no longer be
discussed. And especially if less than an hour later I feel the urgent
need to write even more stuff on the topic.

Jeesh.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero