1994-04-01 - How Many Games of Chess?

Header Data

From: kkirksey@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f33fb25006f5789b0ccc9f6146d21c32e88fc179399e0c9ca890b3dbaa6088fe
Message ID: <199404011703.AA26001@world.std.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 09:04:37 PST

Raw message

From: kkirksey@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 09:04:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: How Many Games of Chess?

This is tangentially related to crypto.  I've been reading A.K. Dewdney's
_The New Turning Omnibus_ recently to refresh my memory of all that stuff
I learned in undergrad that I'm going to see again on the Comp Sci GRE
shortly. :-)  Anyway, I was glancing through the chapters on complexity,
computabilty, and minimax trees, and I got to wondering something:  how
many possible games of chess are there?  I know that it has to be a finite
number, but I'm not sure how to go about finding this number.  Any
pointers would be appreciated.

Ken

Ken Kirksey            kkirksey@world.std.com            Mac Guru & Developer
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.
                                                           -Edmund Blackadder

Thread