1994-04-14 - Re: Soldier of Fortune

Header Data

From: m@BlueRose.com (M Carling)
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: f480017fa868b97292dd496606e3de4fa4b56e7cd0b0baeab740f28cdf16758f
Message ID: <9404141704.AA00518@BlueRose.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 10:37:48 PDT

Raw message

From: m@BlueRose.com (M Carling)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 10:37:48 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Re: Soldier of Fortune

I happen to like SOF, and I don't think most Americans have a bad
opinion of it (certainly some do, but that is true of any
publication). But SOF's appeal is much broader than just "mercs and
wannabees" [Sandy's words], and that "mercs and wannabees" is
probably the subfocus of SOF that most Americans find the least
tasteful of what SOF is about. Most Americans don't think highly of
mercenaries. If anyone is going write something for SOF about PGP, I
hope that the article focuses on anything but "mercs and wannabees".

M Carling

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 12:33:04 -0400
From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com

Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

M >
M >This seems counterproductive. PGP should not be portrayed as a
tool

M >for those that most Americans consider antisocial.
M >
M >M Carling
M >

A quote from pgpdoc1.doc:

 "If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy.
Intelligence
     agencies have access to good cryptographic technology.  So do
the big
     arms and drug traffickers.  So do defense contractors, oil
companies,
     and other corporate giants.  But ordinary people and grassroots
     political organizations mostly have not had access to affordable
     "military grade" public-key cryptographic technology.  Until
now."

Now Phil wrote PGP in part so that "grassroots" political
organizations

could have strong crypto.  SOF is a "grassroots political
organization."

It happens that some people don't like SOF.  It happens that some
other

people think that the organizations that Phil was thinking of when he

wrote PGP are unamerican communist front organizations who should be
on

the Attorney General's List (if we still had an Attorney General's

List)(if we still had an Attorney General).  Tastes differ.

The point of cypherpunks is that everyone (even FBI agents) should
have

strong crypto if they want it.

I know that Phil feels a personal sense of embarrassment at being
adopted

by all sorts of nut groups (including ourselves) and he has pleaded
for

stories of "worthy PGP use."  Standards of worthiness will vary.

DCF

Who, as it happens, *is* a member of an organization on the Attorney

General's list.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread