1994-04-27 - Re: Schneier’s source code

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: werner@mc.ab.com
Message Hash: fe799af855279867e2d012f4352f10055a634001e8bed6a569f245e05ed55e7a
Message ID: <9404271611.AA01104@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 09:12:28 PDT

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 09:12:28 PDT
To: werner@mc.ab.com
Subject: Re: Schneier's source code

> >Oh come on, all this talk about OCR makes it sound like nobody would ever
> >be willing to just type in the code by hand. It only need be done once,
> But seriously, isn't the point that you may make some silly typing mistake
> that compiles anyway, but ruins the algorithm?

Since it's perfectly legal to *import* crypto code to the US, that's simple -
ship it back to the US to check if it's correct.
You also do checksums for each page and maybe each line,
and have them run the checksums to make sure they've typed the
page correctly as well, but use the ship-back-here method for final diffs.

Meanwhile, since much of crypto is eventually about economics,
it's worth pointing out that you can probably hire typists in Russia
who speak English and C well enough to type it in accurately,
and pay them an amount of money that's small here and quite large there.
I don't know if Russia has crypto import/export laws?  There's certainly
Russian crypto software available in the West.

Thread